It is essential to have your eyes checked by an eye specialist at regular intervals. If you ignore this and never care to see an eye doctor in years, then it might have a detrimental impact on your most vital sensory organs. If you are not suffering from any problem in your vision, still you must pay a regular visit to a reputed eye test clinic in Kolkata. This will keep you protected against severe eye ailments like glaucoma and many more.
Recommended Eye Check-up Schedule for Different Age Groups
- 35 years and under- Every one or two years
- 40 years and under- Every twoto four years
- 40-54 years- Every one to three years
- 55-64 years – Every one to two years
- 65 years and above- Every six to twelve years
How is the Eye Check-up Conducted?
As you will visit a notable eye checkup clinic in Kolkata, first you will be asked for your medical history. Then a few critical questions would be asked about the vision problems, the medications taken, and the corrective lens you use. In case there are cases of macular degeneration or glaucoma in the family history, then special attention would be on asking questions on it. If there are other ailments like diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart diseases persisting in your case study, then queries will be made on that as well. You must bring your contact lenses or glasses along and get them tested.
- Visual Acuity: It involves looking at letters printed on a chart from a favourable distance. The letters get smaller from top to bottom.
- Perimetry: This is a significant measure to check the peripheral vision, i.e., how clear you can see to the sides without moving your eyes. It can be done both manually or using automated methods.
- Refraction: This is the test done by measuring the way light waves focus at the back of your eyes with the aid of a computerised tool or putting a shining light into the eyes. If a refraction error is detected, then you will be prescribed with corrective lenses either in the form of glasses or contact lenses.
- Retinal Exam: This test helps in observation of the backside of the eyes, including the retina, optic disc, and blood vessels. The doctor dilates the pupil using some eye drop. It is also referred to as Funduscopy or Ophthalmoscopy.
- Glaucoma Screening: The doctor conducts a glaucoma screening with a test of the fluid pressure level within the eyes using the tonometry where a tono-pen is the tool. Sometimes an air puff is also used to test it.
Radiant Eye Foundation is a well-known eye clinic in Kolkata having specialist doctors among the top 10 ophthal surgeons in Kolkata. You can have a pleasant, healthy, and hygienic eye check-up in this clinic decked with state-of-the-art equipment.